Austin police provide medical aid to victims of mass shooting
AUSTIN (KXAN) – Audio from scanners highlights Austin police response to the mass downtown shooting that left at least 14 people injured early Saturday morning.
Austin Police Department Acting Police Chief Joseph Chacon said the first 911 call reporting the gunshots arrived just before 1:30 a.m. on 6th Street near Trinity Street. Police have so far identified two suspects in the shooting.
Large, pre-pandemic-sized crowds on 6th Street at the time of the shooting made it difficult for the Austin-Travis County EMS and Austin fire crews to access.
A four-minute clip of the scanner audio taken between 1 a.m. and 1:35 a.m. captured officers shouting to make way for EMS.
“Officers in the car, don’t block the road… EMS cannot enter here, leave a way for EMS,” said one officer.
Meanwhile, the police played an important role in providing medical aid and applying tourniquets to the victims, according to Chacon.
“We have 14 people who have been shot… and none of them have lost their lives yet. I am extremely grateful for this, but I want to stress that I truly believe that it is the swift actions of our officers that are in large part to blame, ”Chacon said at a press conference on Saturday afternoon.
Chacon described officers using their first aid kits, giving victims CPR, transporting victims away from the scene, and using their patrol cars to take six victims to hospital.
“At least three more injuries to the leg, applying tourniquets now,” said one officer.
“We have eight gunshot victims, 1 CPR in progress,” said another officer.
Here is a minute-by-minute breakdown of some of the communications that were exchanged between the agents as the scene was unfolding overnight.
- 0:04 – “More units here from all over town”
- 0:18 – “We need more units, we need a lot more units here”
- 0:33 – “Everybody’s coming to you guys”
- 0:52 – “At least three more injuries to the leg, applying tourniquets now”
- 1:11 – “Until we have more units here, we need more units”
- 2:14 – “Officers in the cars, don’t block the road, because EMS can’t enter here, leave a way for EMS”
- 2:23 – “We have 8 bullet victims, 1 CPR in progress”
- 2:26 – “CPR in progress, 8 victims”
- 2:57 – “6th Street, don’t block 6th street”
- 3:43 – “Let EMS in”
- 3:49 – “6th and Red River, let EMS in”
- 3:54 – “Bring them, bring them”
- 4:04 – “6th and Red River, don’t let anyone in but EMS”
- 4:18 – “6th and Neches is open, 6th and Neches is open”
- 4:46 – “Entry point for all ambulances, 6th and Neches, entry point for all ambulances”